Saturday, December 9, 2006

Hong Kong, Part 2

This is the remainder of what I wrote at 4:15am yesterday... I'll work on what happened yesterday on today's plane flight (hopefully)... [EDIT: Blogger isn't letting me upload pictures this morning, I'll try again from Changsha... we'll be leaving for the airport sometime around 10am with the CCAI groups] [EDIT 2: 8:00pm Changsha- got the pics to work!]

It was time for DisneyLand! We navigated from the Tsim Sha Tsui stop on the red line, transferred nine stops later to the orange line, and several stops later at Sunny Bay, we transferred to the special train that Disney has to take you to the park- complete with Mouse-shaped Windows, plush blue bench seats, mouse shaped subway handles if you were standing, statues of characters, and pictures of Walt. We got out (both Jordan and C, were SO excited- so was I!) and headed in to pick up our tickets at the little automated dispenser terminals. HK Disneyland has only been open for a little more than a year, and it’s the size of Kings Dominion or Carowinds- and only about $38. It has a mini version of Main Street, Sleeping beauty’s castle, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, and Adventureland- perfect for a day trip. We rode almost all the rides we could in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland- I took Jordan and C. on the teacups and had a blast. We also rode Dumbo (which broke half way through the ride- it wasn’t me!), Winnie the pooh- much like the Florida Snow White ride- the Autopia cars ride, and the kids went on Orbitron (a lot like Dumbo) with M’s brother Ch. And mutti, while Caroline, M., and myself went to Space Mountain- Fabulous! Caroline and I got to ride in the very front by a fluke, and that was spectacular. HKD is not only smaller, so the lines are nothing like Disney World, but Fast Pass works great! So we literally waltzed onto several rides with almost no wait, including the Mountain. We also stumbled on the parade and had a great view, and the girls loved it. We purchased some souvenirs (how can you not buy something that says you were at Disneyland in Hong Kong to show off to your friends in the States?!?!?!), C. crashed in her mother’ arms, although Jordan stayed awake like a trooper- she only had one mule moment before we rode Buzz Lightyear (I scored 231,600 points- Level 4, I’m a pilot!) but made it through and hung on tile we left the park at 6pm (our last ride was the Jungle River Cruise, our only foray into Adventureland- the girls were too tired to push beyond that, and so were we!) We navigated the trains back to the Kowloon hotel (this time packed with folks on their way home from work)- Jordan was so tired at one point when Caroline and she were standing up for lack of seats, Jordan curled up on the floor of the metro- I wish I could have gotten a picture of that).

We grabbed two cabs at about 7pm to get us to the Regal Kowloon- and these drivers drove like the ones in Cairo did, Completely making up lanes and dashing in between lanes to get around cars, trying to cut people off and avoiding an accident every 5 seconds the vehicle was in motion- it was more adrenaline pumping than Space Mountain- but we got to the Regal in one piece and again checked in, and a porter lugged our bags up.

The Regal is VERY nice, and the rooms are quite large here, and best of all Santa and the snowmen are accompanied by pigs!!!! Mutti and Caroline had told me that when the beds made up the same and again very comfortable. After taking a quick birdbath, Mutti, Caroline, Jordan, M., C., and myself (Ch. Elected to stay in) ventured out in search of food. Low and behold across a little square that our hotel opens onto, we found a Thai restaurant. Little but elegant and charming, I ordered Pad Thai, and it was FABULOUS… just yummy yummy yummy, and I ate every bite! Jordan was by this point pushed past her limits, and we knew it, and she fell asleep on the bench seat before her rice ever came. After a wonderful meal we returned back to the hotel, I showered again, and we hit the bed at 9:20pm.

The buildings around the little courtyard are all high rises (20+ stories) and they all have huge light-bright style pictures on them- I will try to get a shot tonight- of Santa and snowmen, and presents, and “Merry X’mas” even… and they came 4 years ago to get Jordan, Santa’s sleigh was pulled by goats… so I remembered, than this coming Chinese New Year transitions us into the Year of the Pig (or Boar)- the year for Caroline, Mutti, Meema, and Charles! So I expect a lot of the Christmas decorations will show pigs as we go through China- it is so cute! And Hong Kong is decked out for the holidays- ornaments and trees and lights everywhere. The radio has an all Christmas station that plays beautiful Christmas music by the Viennese boys choir and other classics. We even listened to Bing Crosby sing at DeliFrance. We are definitely not missing out on the season by being here in China!!! (EDIT: Except for cookies... I am craving X-mas cookies like you wouldn't believe, especially the Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cookies mom always makes... I love the dough for those as much as the cookies!)

Well, that’s about it for now, I’ve managed to waste an hour by typing in the dark. We have to be ready for our tour at 7:20am (EDIT: that was on 12/9), so I’ll probably go downstairs and eat breakfast a little after 6am since it’s included in our stay here. We will be touring Victoria’s’ Peak, so hopefully I’ll have some great shots of that too!!!
Love to everyone!!! Charles, I get the panda phone on Dec. 10, Sunday, which is actually Saturday evening for you- but probably not til close to midnight your time. I’ll still probably try to call you, and will leave you a voicemail letting you know when I’ll call again J. I love you!!!!!!!! Daddy, we miss you SOOOO much and I can't wait to see you again!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics!!
It helps me feel like am a part of this process of going to get Ellie. Keep them coming.
Daddy